This server is for those wanting to play a modern(ish) version of minecraft, with all the benefits it brings (eg. shaders at a decent frame rate).
FTB Unstable 1.8: ?
I haven't set up a proper modpack yet; I'm instead using a lightly modified version of an existing one.
- Install FTBlauncher, if you haven't already.
- Launch FTBlauncher, go to the FTB MODPACKS tab, select FTB Unstable 1.8, version 3.0.42 (which as of 30-Apr-2016 is the latest version available). Launch the game once (and exit) so that it downloads everything required and creates directories we're about to dump files into.
- Unpack this zip file into INSTALLFOLDER/FTBUnstable18/minecraft/ (where INSTALLFOLDER is shown on FTBLauncher's Options tab). This zip file contains these mods:
- If not using shaders: in FTBLauncher's Options tab, set RAM Maximum to 3GB. You might be able to go lower, but I haven't explored this.
- If using shaders: in FTBLauncher's Options tab, set RAM Maximum to 4GB (if using shaders). Download some Shaders (I recommend SEUS) and place them in INSTALLFOLDER/FTBUnstable18/shaders/ (which won't exist until you've run the game at least once with the shaders mod enabled. To actually use them you'll need to select them in-game, in the Video Settings, Shaders menu.
- At this point, you should (finally!) be ready to play. Hostname avalon.nv.io, port 25568. Unless I've missed a step, in which case you should complain at me and send the entire contents of the console window...
- If you don't like the look of the main menu, then you can use the Edit Mod Pack button in the launcher to disable the CustomMainMenu mod.
- If I've set it up right, you'll default to being a spectator. Let me know and I'll change your gamemode to survival.
I haven't actually testing these instructions, so please let me know of both successes and failures. :P
- Michael's primary website.